Hello! Happy 2017! You might think that this topic is late for the New Year when most people set their goals. But the content I am sharing is not just a yearly aim, but a lifestyle change.
I am sharing the key areas that I am setting goals with. This had been my guideline since the last quarter of 2016, so I had made an additional key for my personal goal settings.
To start with, what is a goal? A goal is something we try to do or achieve. Most of our goals start with a dream. Dreams fade if we do not put an action to it. Many times, we dream about something and coward away without even starting. We do not have enough self-esteem to believe to even try reaching our dreams. Our dreams can be achieved by turning it into a goal. We are already familiar with the S.M.A.R.T. goal setting.
Here’s a sample scenario of turning our dreams into a goal.
I want to lose weight.
S.M.A.R.T. Goal Setting
Specific - How much weight? When do you want to lose it?
I want to lose 30lbs of weight in 6 months. By July, 2017 I will be 30lbs lighter.
Measurable – Break it down. 30lbs of weight in 6 months is measurable. Divide 30lbs into 6 months, which will require you to lose 5lbs per month, around 1.25lbs per week. How can you lose weight daily? Increase workout, and decrease potato couching. Increase water intake, decrease sweets. Measurable.
Attainable – Is dropping 30lbs of weight attainable in 6 months? Yes!
Realistic - Is it healthy and possible to lose a pound a week? Yes!
Time Bound - 6 months is the time frame you are assigning to it. Deadlines are good motivators to work our butt off.
BUT, I would like to add two magic ingredients in this SMART Goal Setting.
1. It must be your goal. Not because someone wants it for you. Own your goal.
2. Put your goals in writing. See it before your eyes. From there you can start to plan. Read your goals every day. You can make a vision board, and post it to your wall so you’ll be reminded of your goals. Once you write your goal and mapped it out, you are 90% there.
I am done with the long intro. Here are the 7F that I set my life goals. It is easier to set them if they are divided into different aspects in life. I have personal notes in this guideline. You can adjust them according to your life’s status.
1. FAITH GOALS - I believe that building your faith in God is important in facing everything in life. We build faith in God by engaging ourselves with God’s Word. I make it a goal every day to find confidence in God. It is my source of strength, more than positive thoughts can offer. I John 5:4 say that if we are with God, we can have a victory that can overcome the world. And how do we get that faith that can overcome the world? By hearing God’s Word (Romans 10:17). We also must have faith in ourselves that we can do it through God’s help (Philippians 4:13).
2. FAMILY GOALS – I have just read recently in Proverbs, “…hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. For they shall be an ornament of grace around thy head, and chains unto thy neck.” How splendid is that! Having a good relationship with your parents and the rest of the family is a rewarding state in life. So be sure, to spend and schedule quality time with them. Plan an outing, or enjoy walking in the mall with them. Push on a goal that will include them in your life. There are many verses in the Bible on how to treat a family to inspire us more.
3. FINANCES - It is more easy to achieve those goals if they are funded well. How about starting a Savings Goal, of course, the money saved will be planned on spending in achieving goals. Is one of your goals financial stability? Save up! Going for a trip? Save up! Giving that special someone a special gift? Save up! Needless to say, planning on this aspect can give us a jumpstart in achieving other goals.
Here’s a simple equation I follow through:
10% is for my church tithe (Malachi 3:10)
10% is for my savings
80% for paying bills. You can also get your goals fund here.
There are so many ways to earn money, but you must have a goal to strive for.
4. FITNESS – “It only takes one diet to lose weight. Which one? The one you stick with.” The physical, mental, emotional, and even spiritual health correlates with each other. If we want to improve more, never neglect fitness. I have learned the hard way, but it is never too late to change to a better lifestyle. Fitness is a major goal for me this year. I had started 10,000 steps walk on some of the days last year, and jumped in the trampoline with Zumba dance steps for the first two weeks of January. I signed up for a gym membership, did some research, and pumped up to start next week. I have partially eliminated chicken as part of my menu, and increased water intake. Whatever activity we want, do something to take control of your physical health.
5. FRIENDSHIP - Hang around with a person who truly cares for your well-being. People who will appreciate you. People who will encourage and build you up. People who are there for you in your ups and downs. Last year, I have isolated myself most of the time. I have to admit that it is a selfish act. It is not because I’m an introvert. Being an introvert is a lame excuse to isolate oneself always. I read Proverbs 18:1, “A man who isolates himself seeks his own desires and rages against all wise judgment.” I was like this last year, just listening to myself. This 2017, I aim to change to the better me. I want to engage to more people on a personal approach, and not online only. Nothing can substitute a warm presence.
6. FIELD – I am referring about the career field. Do you have goals about your work or business? How do you see yourself one, three, or five years from now? Look for a career that matches your interest. Should you expand your network? Planning to change company? Map out your goal well to move forward in your career.
7. FUN TIME AND FREE TIME - Goal planning, of course, includes fun time. How do you want to spend your weekends or day offs? Want to go on a trip this summer? Idle time should be planned with activities that can fill your mind with good memories and lessons. Learn new skills, paint, sing. Just do something you enjoy.
These are the 7F in my goal setting. I will hopefully share some specific points in goal setting in this blog soon. For now, I hope this can be an aid as you set your goals. Remember, the best time to start is today.
Thank you for reading!